Re: pgsql: Use ICU by default at initdb time. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: pgsql: Use ICU by default at initdb time.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2023-03-10 at 07:48 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-03-10 at 15:48 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Yes, of course.  So we can't really do what I was thinking of.
>
> OK, I plan to commit something like the patch in this thread soon. I
> just need to add an explanatory comment.

Committed a slightly narrower fix that derives the default encoding the
same way for both libc and ICU; except that ICU still uses UTF-8 for
C/POSIX/--no-locale (because ICU doesn't work with SQL_ASCII).

That seemed more consistent with the comments around
pg_get_encoding_from_locale() and it was also easier to document the -E
switch in initdb.

I'll keep an eye on the buildfarm to see if this fixes the problem or
causes other issues. But it seems like the right change.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis