Re: Is it databases in general, SQL or Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Is it databases in general, SQL or Postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Sample 2 below, does not work. From a logical (perhaps naive) extension
> of Sample 1, I adapted the function to identify which of the serial
> numbers in table pr is to be transferred to table pi. I am attempting to
> do this as part of the database structure _not_ as data retrieval.
>
> Could someone explain to me why this isn't acceptable as a simple basic
> function?
>
> Could someone explain to me what needs to be changed, enhanced or
> modified to make this database structure work?

> Sample 2
>             create or replace function base() returns trigger as $$
>
>             begin
>
>             insert into pi (fluid_id) values (new.fluid_id)
>
>             where  pr (contain)  = 'ip';

I suppose you mean "where pr.contain = 'ip'" instead? pr is a table, not
a function.

You'd be in some interesting trouble if there'd be a function pr(text)
returning text - it would evaluate the function with the content of your
column and compare the result to your string.

--
Alban Hertroys