Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database
Date
List pgsql-general
Vivek Khera wrote:
> Another issue with autovacuum (haven't investigated the 8.1 version
> yet) is that you can't make different threshhold settings for
> different tables.  For example, I have some tables that are a handful
> of rows but are updated bazillions of times per day, and other tables
> with 10's of millions of rows updated perhaps 100k times per day.
> autovacuum would go several days without vacuuming some of the tables,
> which was just bad...   I don't think it is suitable for all situations.

With the release of 8.1 and it's integrated version of autovacuum, you
can now set per table settings for for vauum and analyze thresholds,
vacuum cost delay, and table enable / disable.  This addresses what was
probably the largest deficiency with the old contrib version.