Re: why vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: why vacuum
Date
Re: why vacuum  (Mario Splivalo <mario.splivalo@mobart.hr>)
List pgsql-sql
On 10/26/2005 11:19 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 23:45, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>> hi,
>> i was in a minor flame war with a mysql guy - his major grouse was that
>> 'I wouldnt commit mission critical data to a database that needs to be
>> vacuumed once a week'. So why does pg need vacuum?
>
> Oh man oh man.  After reading the article, I realized he was saying that
> he wouldn't trust PostgreSQL to replace Oracle.  He apparently wouldn't
> trust MySQL to replace oracle either.
>
> But, the next time someone says that slony is a toy add on, and MySQL
> has REAL replication, point them to THIS page on the same blog:
>
> http://ebergen.net/wordpress/?p=70

You must have missed the FAQ and other side notes about replication in
the MySQL manual. Essentially MySQL replication is nothing but a query
duplicating system, with the added sugar of taking care of now() and
some other non-deterministic things, but not all of them.

Non-deterministic user defined procedures, functions and triggers will
simply blow MySQL's sophisticated replication apart.

Jan