Re: Temporary Views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Temporary Views
Date
Re: Temporary Views  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> so, added to TODO:
>   * Have views on temporary tables exist in the temporary namespace
> TODO updated to remove mention of temporary views.

That's *clearly* backwards.  Ignoring our little argument, I think there
is no denying that temp views as such are useful --- for example,
consider a temp view created on permanent tables to define a
session-local shorthand for a complex query.

If you want a restriction, make it* Invent temporary views* Restrict permanent views from referring to temporary
tables
I agree with the first goal and disagree with the second --- but I can
see your point of view on the second.  OTOH I can't see any reason to
hardwire tempness-of-views to tempness-of-referenced-tables, because
that disallows the obviously useful case of temp view on permanent
table.

> I just removed them:
>   * Allow temporary views
>   * Require view using temporary tables to be temporary views

It was right the first time.