Re: Temporary Views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Temporary Views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > so, added to TODO:
> >   * Have views on temporary tables exist in the temporary namespace
> > TODO updated to remove mention of temporary views.
>
> That's *clearly* backwards.  Ignoring our little argument, I think there
> is no denying that temp views as such are useful --- for example,
> consider a temp view created on permanent tables to define a
> session-local shorthand for a complex query.

Yes, if someone wants that, we can add such a capability to the TODO
list, it is just that no one has asked yet.  What they have asked for is
proper handling of views on temporary tables, and we have only the drop
part of that, not the visiblity part, and frankly, without the
visibility part, it is pretty useless.

Pennsylvania19073