fine tuned database dump/reload? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Armbrust
Subject fine tuned database dump/reload?
Date
Re: fine tuned database dump/reload?  (Bricklen Anderson <BAnderson@PresiNET.com>)
Re: fine tuned database dump/reload?  (Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>)
Re: fine tuned database dump/reload?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-general
Does postgresql have any facility to dump anything more fine grained
than a database to a text file?

For example, to mention a bad word, MySQL's dump command allows you to
specify individual tables to dump - and not only that - you can also
specify a SQL query that must be satisfied for a row to make it into the
dump file - this is extremely useful for the way that we use our database.

Also - how does postgresql handle foreign keys if you dump an entire
database along with the create table statements?  Because my foreign
keys require that the tables be created in a certain order - MySQL fails
on this front - but since it allows me to specify the tables to dump,
and it dumps them in that order, I can specify the correct order.

PostgreSQL's pg_dump command seems rather limited in its abilities.
Maybe I'm missing the command I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust