Re: Comparative performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joe
Subject Re: Comparative performance
Date
Re: Comparative performance
Re: Comparative performance
List pgsql-performance
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> That actually depends a lot on *how* you use it. I've seen pg-on-windows
> deployments that come within a few percent of the linux performance.
> I've also seen those that are absolutely horrible compared.
>
> One sure way to kill the performance is to do a lot of small
> connections. Using persistent connection is even more important on
> Windows than it is on Unix. It could easily explain a difference like
> this.

I just tried using pg_pconnect() and I didn't notice any significant
improvement.  What bothers me most is that with Postgres I tend to see jerky
behavior on almost every page:  the upper 1/2 or 2/3 of the page is displayed
first and you can see a blank bottom (or you can see a half-filled completion
bar).  With MySQL each page is generally displayed in one swoop.

Joe