Re: Comparative performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Comparative performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 08:16:11AM -0400, Joe wrote:
> I just tried using pg_pconnect() and I didn't notice any significant
> improvement.

PHP persistent connections are not really persistent -- or so I've been told.

Anyhow, what was discussed here was pg_query, not pg_connect. You really want
to reduce the number of pg_query() calls in any case; you haven't told us how
many there are yet, but it sounds like there are a lot of them.

> What bothers me most is that with Postgres I tend to see jerky behavior on
> almost every page:  the upper 1/2 or 2/3 of the page is displayed first and
> you can see a blank bottom (or you can see a half-filled completion bar).
> With MySQL each page is generally displayed in one swoop.

This might just be your TCP/IP stack finding out that the rest of the page
isn't likely to come anytime soon, and start sending it out... or something
else. I wouldn't put too much weight on it, it's likely to go away as soon as
you fix the rest of the problem.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/