Re: changing a column's position in table, how do you do that - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Daryl Richter
Subject Re: changing a column's position in table, how do you do that
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> Is there a way to change the position attribute of a column in a table?
> I have data that I need to import into various tables in my db on a
> consistent basis... I usually us e the COPY ... FROM query but I can't
> control the -order- of the fields my client dumps the data so I would
> like to be able to change the position the columns in my table to be
> able to better align the data to be imported with the format of my
> table. I was thinking I could do something like "ALTER TABLE ALTER
> COLUMN ... " or something like that to change the columns position in
> the table but I can't figure out how.
>
> Ferindo

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Constantly changing the column order of a table doesn't make sense (and
is a pain!).

I would suggest setting up a temporary staging table with generic column
names to take in the input data and then using SQL to move it into its
permanent location.

--
Daryl

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged."    -- Colonel Henry Knox, 1776