Re: TODO list comments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO list comments
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Or perhaps use a different separator:
>
>junk=# select * from xyz;
> id |    name    |              address              |             del_addr
>----+------------+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
>  1 | Joe Bloggs | 1 Hindhead Villas,                | 2 The Laurels,
>    +            + Newport,                          + Swinkley,
>    +            + Gwent                             + XX3 5CX
>(1 row)

That's a terrific idea, and, incidentally, just the sort of project that
might well suit a beginning hacker, since the code is pretty isolated.

>Not sure how hard this would be to program, or what sort of overhead it
>might impose to check for the case.  My recollection is that psql's
>table-layout code is pretty slow and ugly already ...

If people want speed they shouldn't use psql as a client anyway. I don't
see this as much of an obstacle.

cheers

andrew