Re: Backward compat issue with v16 around ROLEs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Luzanov
Subject Re: Backward compat issue with v16 around ROLEs
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11.09.2024 22:21, David G. Johnston wrote:

> ddevienne=> grant dd_owner to dd_admin with admin option; -- <<<<<<<<

I think this needs to be the other way around:

   grant dd_admin to dd_owner with admin option;

Best,

Wolfgang

Probably, intend to get those reversed and wasn't in a position to experiment.  In any case fixing the with admin error is the correct approach.

Unfortunately, it won't work.
Dominique is rightThis will lead to circularities.
After this grant:
grant dd_owner to dd_admin;
reverse grant is not possible.
I think this is a migration issue for v16 and it is not mentioned in release notes.

I didn't quite understand the exact purpose of the roles dd_owner and dd_admin.
But a possible way is to use dd_admin to create roles.
For example:

create role dd_admin login createrole;
\c - dd_admin
create role dd_owner noinherit;