Re: How to secure PostgreSQL Data for distribute? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: How to secure PostgreSQL Data for distribute?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Premsun Choltanwanich wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>      I need to distribute my application that use PostgreSQL as
> database to my customer. But I still have some questions in my mind on
> database security. I understand that everybody  who get my application
> database will be have a full control permission on my database in case
> that PostgreSQL already installed on their computer and they are an
> administrator on PostgreSQL. So that mean data, structure and any
> ideas contain in database will does not secure on this point. Is my
> understanding correct?
>
>      What is the good way to make it all secure? Please advise.

If your customer can access the data, they can access the data.  If they
have control over the system, they can access the system.

I guess you could build some sort of encryption into your client, but
that seems pretty easy to circumvent.

The short answer is that there is no good way to do this.  If you are
worried about this, the technology isn't going to save you.  No
technology will save you.  Instead, I would highly suggest discussing
the matter with an attourney and see if there is a legal remedy that
might provide adequate protection.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting