Re: problems with new vacuum (??) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problems with new vacuum (??)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Have you any ideas how to distinguish between interactive and
> non-interactive disk I/O coming from postgresql backends ?

I don't see how.  For one thing, the backend that originally dirtied
a buffer is not necessarily the one that writes it out.  Even assuming
that we could assign a useful priority to different I/O requests,
how do we tell the kernel about it?  There's no portable API for that
AFAIK.

One thing that would likely help a great deal is to have the WAL files
on a separate disk spindle, but since what I've got is a one-disk
system, I can't test that on this PC.