Re: problems with new vacuum (??) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: problems with new vacuum (??)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 01 January 2002 11:23 pm, Barry Lind wrote:
> Tom,
>
> The platform is Redhat 7.0 with a 2.2.19 kernal.

Is this and IDE based system?  If so do you have the drives running in DMA
mode?

What are the results of "/sbin/hdparm /dev/hd(?)" (a,b,c,d ... which ever
drive you are running the database on.)

The 2.2 linux kernel defaults to DMA off.  You can try to enable dma by
issuing /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hd(?)  You can also test the disk speed with
/sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/hd(?).

In my experience enabling this feature can make a huge improvement in I/O
intensive applications.  Other options can help also, but I find dma to have
the largest impact.  I find linux almost unusable without it.