Re: Inheritance vs. LIKE - need advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Inheritance vs. LIKE - need advice
Date
List pgsql-general
William Bug wrote:

> I'm not certain I understand what you mean here?  Are you  recommending
> all application layer interaction with tables using  INHERIT should be
> done via a VIEW intermediary?  If so, wouldn't the  VIEW (built from a
> "SELECT ... ONLY...") then be as dependent on the  fixed structure
> determined by the INHERITs relationship, as much as  the application
> code would be?

Well, what I'm concerned about is this: you have an inheritance
hierarchy in PG, and some application has a "SELECT ... ONLY" in it. If
you want to change the inheritance hierarchy in PG around, you may not
be able to make it "look like" the old hierarchy to the application with
views.

If you use a view in between, maybe the view does the "SELECT ... ONLY".
That way, if you change the PG inheritance hierarchy, you can just
change the view without changing the application. The application would
never use "SELECT ... ONLY" so you would always have a way out if you
need it.

My basic philosophy here is that as long as you have a way out, it's not
 wrong.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis