Re: converting curly apostrophes to standard apostrophes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: converting curly apostrophes to standard apostrophes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 12:14:16PM -0700, CSN wrote:
> Is there a way to replace all curly apostrophes with
> standard apostrophes (presumably with replace(x,y,z))?
> My database is SQL_ASCII and I can't find a character
> code for curly apostrophes in ASCII here:
> http://www.lookuptables.com, but nevertheless there
> appear to be curly apostrophes in the database.

The "Extended ASCII Codes" section of that page might not match
what your system uses (it doesn't match mine).  Have you tried using
the ascii() function on the offending data?

CREATE TABLE foo (testval text);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('ABCDEFG');

SELECT substr(testval, 4, 1), ascii(substr(testval, 4, 1)) FROM foo;
 substr | ascii
 D      |    68
(1 row)

--