Re: Check postgres compile-time options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laura Vance
Subject Re: Check postgres compile-time options
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:18:58PM -0500, Laura Vance wrote:
>

>>In trying to get the ODBC installed on my test system, I've run
>>into the problem that I need to know if my binary distribution of
>>PostgreSQL was configured with the --enable-odbc option, and I can't
>>seem to find out how to do that.
>>

>Are you looking for "pg_config --configure"?
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.1/static/app-pgconfig.html
>
>I think pg_config reports the configure options that were in effect
>when *it* was compiled, so if pg_config is from a different build
>than the postmaster then the options pg_config reports might not
>match those that the postmaster was built with (somebody please
>correct me if I'm mistaken).

If that isn't the right one, then I'm not sure.

# pg_config --configure
--disable-rpath --enable-hba --enable-locale --enable-multibyte
--enable-syslog --with-CXX *--with-odbc* --with-perl --with-python
--with-readline --with-tcl --with-tk --with-x --datadir=/usr/share/pgsql
--docdir=/usr/share/doc --includedir=/usr/include/pgsql
--mandir=/usr/share/man --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/pgsql

I put asterisks around the "--with-odbc"

Here's a little background on what I've tried to get the postgres/ODBC
working.  I went to the postgresql web site and found the section for
programming interfaces and clicked on the "odbc" link.  It took me to a
page at GBorg for ODBC.  I clicked on the link for "HOWTOs" then on the
link for PostgreSQL & ODBC on Redhat (since my current system is a
Mandrake system that uses red hat rpm's).  I followed the instructions
and was able to compile the little test program.  The problem I run into
is when I run the iodbc test program it gives me the following
output/errors:

$ iodbctest "DSN=tpeims;UID=vancel;PWD="
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor
Driver Manager: 03.52.0205.0204
1: SQLDriverConnect = Unknown connect option (Set) (205) SQLSTATE=S1009

Have a nice day.

Then when I run it interactively instead of command line, it does this:

$ iodbctest
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor
Driver Manager: 03.52.0205.0204

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): ?

DSN                              | Driver
tpeims                           | PostgreSQL driver

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): tpeims
1: SQLDriverConnect = Unknown connect option (Set) (205) SQLSTATE=S1009

Have a nice day.

I've tried other configuration test programs, but none of them seem to
connect properly.

Is there some incompatibility with this version of iodbc and postgresql
7.1.2?

Also, if this needs to be taken to pgsql-odbc, let me know, but there
doesn't seem to be much activity on that list (I'm not subscribed to it yet)

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance