Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Vratislav_Morkus@lmc.cz wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am sorry for a stupid easy question, but I'am PostgreSQL novice.
>Our development team has encountered problem with trying to install and
>maintain cluster (pgcluster) on our production database. So they have
>decided to switch the entire solution to MySql database.
>a) have you got any good/bad experience with administering and running
>cluster on PostrgeSQL DB?

no experience whatsoever.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
There are many other replication solutions as well which may work better
for your solution at the moment.

>b) would u switch PostgreSQL to MySql (7.4 --> 4.1) and why?

Yes I would switch.

1)  PostgreSQL is far more standards compliant than MySQL
2)  PostgreSQL does not silently truncate your data unless you tell it
to do so.
3)  Performs better with complex queries and under load.

Quoting from my migration guide:

Information is the life-breath of any business in the way that money is
its life-blood. Many busi-
nesses today use Relational Dabase Management Systems (RDBMS's) to
manage this critical asset.
As such, it is important that the RDBMS chosen to manage this
information is as robust and powerful
as possible. PostgreSQL offers many powerful tools to provide
information from your database for a
variety of uses, including integration of diverse applications,
reporting, and a variety of other uses.
PostgreSQL is also quite scalable and extremely robust.
   PostgreSQL is also the most standards-compliant open source database
around, implimenting
more SQL-99 features than MySQL or FirebirdSQL. It has a very vibrant
community, and is free from
many of the licensing issues that have, as of the time of this writing,
surfaced with MySQL. Use or
even distribution of PostgreSQL will never require an additional license
from a commercial entity, for
example.
   PostgreSQL also performs better than MySQL in many real-world
scenarios. While MySQL does
perform better for simple read-only operations when transactional
control is disabled, PostgreSQL
handles more complex queries with ease, and provides better performance
under high load than
MySQL, especially when some users are writing to the database.
Therefore, while MySQL is quite
well suited for simple content management tools where there is no need
to integrate it with other line
of business applications, PostgreSQL is better for any application of
reasonable complexity.
    Finally, as of version 4.x, MySQL does not strictly check the
validity of information written to the
database. Numbers may be silently truncated, for example, or invalid
dates, such as Feb 31, 2005,
could be entered into the database. While this is possibly acceptible
where only a single application
is using the database, it becomes unacceptable quickly when several
independent applications must
access the same data because a bug in any one application could allow
invalid (or worse, erroneous)
data to be saved. Even when strict mode debuts in 5.x, it is unlikely
that this will be enabled by
default as MySQL will be largely required to be backwards compatible.

Hope this helps.

Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Attachment