Re: patch: garbage error strings in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: patch: garbage error strings in libpq
Date
List pgsql-patches
jtv@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Does anyone know what the situation is in C89, or whatever the applicable
> standard is?

[ *looks* ]

The text is the same in both versions:

http://dev.unicals.com/papers/c89-draft.html#3.3.2.2

"The order of evaluation of the function designator, the arguments, and
subexpressions within the arguments is unspecified, but there is a
sequence point before the actual call."

(On reading this more closely, I suppose you could make the argument
that a function call that takes place in the argument list of another
function call is a "subexpression within the [outer function's]
arguments", so the order of evaluation prior to the call of the outer
function would be undefined. But I don't think that's the right reading
of the standard.)

-Neil