Re: Search function - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: Search function
Date
List pgsql-novice
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am working on an application that has a search dialog.  The dialog
>> is automatically populated with all of the available fields.  It gets
>> the field names from the views that were used on the form that the
>> search dialog was launched from.
>>
>> The issue that is slowly getting unmanageable is handling the
>> different data types.  If it is a date do this, if it is a string do
>> that and if it is a boolean do something else.
>>
>> I would like to remove this complexity from the application.
>>
>> I am hoping that there is a way given the view/column names that I can
>> either
>> 1) dynamically build the WHERE clause
>> 2) dynamically build the whole query
>> 3) dynamically build the whole query, run it and return the results
>>
>> Has anyone tried something like this before?
>>
>> --
>> Kind Regards,
>> Keith
>
> I have built search functions for web pages that build the SQL string
> dynamically and return the result from a function through a result set.
> For example, your form may have three input fields with several
> "options" the user can search with:  Date_To: (an input field) Date
> From: (an input field) Destination: (a drop down list with airport codes).
>
> Your SQL would look like:  "SELECT * FROM table WHERE date1 >=
> Date_To_variable_from_the_form AND date2 <=
> Date_From_variable_from_the_form AND destination =
> Destination_from_the_form.
>
> You would then execute the statement and return the results to your
> application.
>
> Is this what you were looking for?
>
> Derrick

Derrick,

I am trying to create something more dynamic.

At the moment the user has a drop down list that is populated based on
the view a form uses.  There is a second drop down list that contains
the operators (=, <, >, >=, <=, <>, LIKE).  There is also a text box
where the user can enter the desired data.  Finally the user has the
option of selecting AND, OR or NONE and specifying a second condition.

The challenge is that if a user selects
name = tom
the code is different then if the user selects
closed = true

--
Kind Regards,
Keith