Search function - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Keith Worthington
Subject Search function
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi All,

I am working on an application that has a search dialog.  The dialog is
automatically populated with all of the available fields.  It gets the
field names from the views that were used on the form that the search
dialog was launched from.

The issue that is slowly getting unmanageable is handling the different
data types.  If it is a date do this, if it is a string do that and if
it is a boolean do something else.

I would like to remove this complexity from the application.

I am hoping that there is a way given the view/column names that I can
either
1) dynamically build the WHERE clause
2) dynamically build the whole query
3) dynamically build the whole query, run it and return the results

Has anyone tried something like this before?

--
Kind Regards,
Keith