Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
>> From: Dennis Gearon [mailto:gearond@cvc.net]
>> But others are right. We need someone like IBM is to Linux,
>> or Apple is to Konqueror.  Someone who puts a lot of time and
>> money into the product for their own selfish interests, but
>> then releases it.

> Isn't Redhat doing that?

Red Hat is putting a fair amount of money into PG development: they're
paying my salary, for example, and several other people who are not as
visible on the lists.  But they aren't presently spending a dime on
promoting Postgres to the world.  *That* is what I miss about Great
Bridge; they had the money and the inclination to do marketing efforts.
I think the project benefited greatly from the exposure it got from
GB's efforts.

> I heard they were working on a complete NIST validation.  That's a
> stupendous effort.

We have a couple of college interns going through the NIST validation
suite.  It'll take a while to finish, but I think it'll be valuable.
As someone else pointed out, it's already turned up one
previously-unknown (to me anyway) compliance bug.

            regards, tom lane
            Red Hat Database project