Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

> Well, I think there's numerous examples where someone suggests some
> feature or idea, and Tom or one or two other core developers will
> say: "I don't like that idea", and then the proposer will more or
> less give up on it because it is clear that it won't go anywhere.

Well I think that is more perception than anything. Sometimes you have
to fight for what you believe in. For example plPHP. I believe plPHP
belongs in core as do some other people. There are members of core
that are for it and against it.

Command Prompt as the submitter needs to make a valid argument to sway
core. We need to present code they would be happy with. We need to
present reasons why.

If you don't do that, then yes I can see why it would feel as if
the proposer was at a loss once someone like Tom writes his opinion.

However Tom isn't the final word, he just happens to have a lot of
weight as anyone within the project of good standing who donates as much
as he does would.

Everything within the community is pretty much done as a vote and there
are things that core really has nothing to do with (like pgFoundry).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting