Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Well, I think there's numerous examples where someone suggests some
> > feature or idea, and Tom or one or two other core developers will
> > say: "I don't like that idea", and then the proposer will more or
> > less give up on it because it is clear that it won't go anywhere.
>
> Well I think that is more perception than anything. Sometimes you have
> to fight for what you believe in. For example plPHP. I believe plPHP
> belongs in core as do some other people. There are members of core
> that are for it and against it.
>
> Command Prompt as the submitter needs to make a valid argument to sway
> core. We need to present code they would be happy with. We need to
> present reasons why.

I think the plan for plphp is to put the source in our CVS, but to
require it to be compiled as a separate 'make' step after php is fully
installed and using the new libpq.  I think we had agreement on that
solution.

> If you don't do that, then yes I can see why it would feel as if
> the proposer was at a loss once someone like Tom writes his opinion.
>
> However Tom isn't the final word, he just happens to have a lot of
> weight as anyone within the project of good standing who donates as much
> as he does would.
>
> Everything within the community is pretty much done as a vote and there
> are things that core really has nothing to do with (like pgFoundry).

Right, the point is that Tom has weight because he is Tom and people
value his opinion, not because he is core.