Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-www
Chris Travers wrote:
> Stating that the PostgreSQL community has no position on software
> patents is not quite accurate.

I think this it's true. Members of the community have various opinions,
but AFAIK the project as a whole does not.

> Changing the caching algorythm in the middle of a stable branch
> (which would otherwise only contain bug fixes) over patent concerns
> sends a very loud message

Yes, and that message is "PostgreSQL will try to avoid infringing on
patents.", or at least will work around the problem when it is brought
to our attention. I don't see that it can be interpreted as opposition
to software patents per se.

-Neil