Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-www
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I read their "About"
>>
>>     http://www.eff.org/about/
>>
>> Too political, this group is not just anti-patents and goes much farther
>> than I think we can agree as a group.
>

> Uhmmm software patents are about as political as you can get ;).

Agreed.  Which if I understand correctly accounts for Bruce's
opposition.  Also if we don't have the main button link to the EFF page
but provide a list of other online resources (approved by the community)
we need not indicate that we identify with the EFF regarding all their
causes.

I am generally opposed to unnecessarily politicizing work-based
communities.  The PostgreSQL is very much a work-based community, so for
me to support it, I must generally decide that the community is so much
better off that we really must take a stand on it.  Or that we as a
community are already taking a de facto stand.  If I understand other
people correctly, Joshua Drake and Bruce Momjian set a similarly high
bar for such activity.

Stating that the PostgreSQL community has no position on software
patents is not quite accurate.  I don't even think that Bruce can make
that case after the ARC issue.  Changing the caching algorythm in the
middle of a stable branch (which would otherwise only contain bug fixes)
over patent concerns sends a very loud message, and one which has been
picked up on in a number of publications.   This is true especially
given the fact that we did not try to resolve this matter with IBM.  So
like it or not we are politicized already by circumstances forced on us
by oneof IBM's patents.

So if we are going to be politicized anyway, we might as well make sure
that we are clear about our message.  Otherwise, we are at the mercy of
journalists' interpretations, and we will perpetuate a situation where
those involved in the decision to replace ARC are essentially left to
represent our community in this political issue without any community
approved resources except their interpretation of a set of events
surrounding this patent.

Here is what I would suggest.  Have  a "No Software Patents" button.
Have it link to a discussion of software patents with the ARC patent as
the prime example of why software patents hurt open source and small
software developers.  Keep it close to home.  Provide a list of advocacy
organizations (like the EFF) with a disclaimer that we are not
responsible for their positions nor their content.  Done well, this
could be a great benefit.  But I do agree that it could be damaging if
done poorly.  Lets make this a powerful testimony to the dangers that
these patents pose for our members, but keep it reasonable, accessible,
and down to earth.

Now, why should we wait for a general consensus on this issue before
hashing out the details?  I don't care where the page is hosted as long
as it represents those of us who want to link ot it.    Also it is
easier to discuss the reservations of any in the community if we have a
definite proposal (including, if possible, suggested wording).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consultings