Re: Postgres: pg_hba.conf, md5, pg_shadow, encrypted passwords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lance James
Subject Re: Postgres: pg_hba.conf, md5, pg_shadow, encrypted passwords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Simply put, MD5 is no longer strong enough for protecting secrets. It's
>> just too easy to brute-force. SHA1 is ok for now, but it's days are
>> numbered as well. I think it would be good to alter SHA1 (or something
>> stronger) as an alternative to MD5, and I see no reason not to use a
>> random salt instead of username.
>

> If you aren't paying close enough attention to your database server to
> see that someone is trying to brute force your MD5 password you have
> bigger problems.

The comments on md5 and sha1 are both inaccurate if you're comparing
them. Encrypted passwords are as strong as the design of the password.
In some cases, SHA-1 is a faster brute force because SHA-1 is a faster
hash. There are two issues here. Using SHA-1 to hash a password, and the
strength of a password. If the implementation of SHA-1 is not effective,
there could be weaknesses that enable reducing the time required to
perform exhaustive/dictionary attacks against sha-1 protected password.

I'm out of context, but I had to make some corrections.

--
Best Regards,
Lance James