Asyncron replication from wan to lan with PostgreSQL 8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sebastian Hennebrueder
Subject Asyncron replication from wan to lan with PostgreSQL 8
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I am trying to find a solution for the following case:
replicate the database from a web application on our Internetserver
(master)  to a local database (slave) in our LAN with a local IP
address. We want to replicate only a few tables creates specially for
reports.
- the master cannot connect to the slave directly
- the slave must start the request
- synchronisation takes place periodically

Solutions I found but that did not help for this case

Slony
expects slaves to be reachable from the masters
syncronious replication

http://www.commandprompt.com/products/mammothreplicator/
asyncronious replication available, so technically this could work
compression, ssl connections
but expects postresql 7.4
Linux only

Daffodil replicator
asyncronious replication available,
push, pull, snapshot and syncronisation
but we had issues as the master is trying to connect to the slave, this
is not possible in a connection to a local IP address.

http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org/
very easy when using Java what we are doing
but expects slave to be reachable

Only solution expect to work at the moment
Do it by foot (as we say in Germany)
Trigger to list IDs in a syncronisation table.
Query from a local application selecting the data for the ids and
updating the data in the local database

Are there any other solutions than doing the syncronisation manually?

--
Kind Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder

-----
http://www.laliluna.de/tutorials.html
Tutorials for Java, Struts, JavaServer Faces, JSP, Hibernate, EJB and more.