Graph datatype addition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Graph datatype addition
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

Inspired by the awesome work done by Oleg sir in HStore, I have been thinking about making a graph data type as an
extensionin postgres.

I have been reading about graph databases and how storing data in graphs can lead to some really awesome
functionalitiessuch as social network analysis, recommender systems, network management.

Essentially, connected data can be represented effectively as a single data item, which can be used for further
analysis.

This is in line with my agenda of adding more analytics functionalities in postgres.

I have been thinking about designing the data type as adjacency sets, associating the adjacency list for each node as a
valuewith node identifier as the key.

This should be able to build over HStore, using HStore to associate adjacency list with its node identifier.

The format could be:

So,

"node1" => "node2/node3/node4","node2" => "node1/node5/node6","node3" => "node1/node4/node5" '\0'

This can be for unweighted graphs, we can add support for weighted graphs as well.

Thoughts/comments/advice please?

Regards,

Atri

Sent from my iPad