Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 4/20/19 3:26 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With some guidance from Stephen, I've discovered some scenarios where
> one can store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 passwords.
>
> Scenario #1: Directly from CREATE/ALTER ROLE
>
> for example on PostgreSQL 11:
>
> CREATE ROLE test1 PASSWORD 'SCRAM-SHA-256$1234' LOGIN;
>
> In the logs, one sees:
>
>     2019-04-20 18:36:07.883 UTC [22251] postgres@postgres LOG:  invalid
> SCRAM verifier for user "test1"
>     2019-04-20 18:36:07.883 UTC [22251] postgres@postgres STATEMENT:
> CREATE USER test1 PASSWORD 'SCRAM-SHA-256$1234' LOGIN;
>
> pg_authid contains:
>
> -[ RECORD 1 ]--+-------------------
> rolname        | test1
> rolcanlogin    | t
> rolpassword    | SCRAM-SHA-256$1234
>
> and when I try to login with the password "SCRAM-SHA-256$1234" e.g.
>
> psql -U test1 postgres
>
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "test1"
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "test1"
>
> Scenario #2: On an upgrade from PG < 10 => PG >= 10
>
> On a PostgreSQL 9.6.12, I created a user as the following:
>
> CREATE ROLE test2 WITH UNENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'SCRAM-SHA-256$1234' LOGIN;
>
> with pg_authid contents:
>
> -[ RECORD 1 ]--+-------------------
> rolname        | test2
> rolcanlogin    | t
> rolpassword    | SCRAM-SHA-256$1234
>
> And was able to **successfully login.**
>
> I installed PostgreSQL 11 and upgrading from 9.6.12 => 11.2
>
> When I attempt to login as test2, I get the following error:
>
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "tester"
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "tester"
>
> While my hunch is that Scenario #2 is less likely to happen in the wild,
> Scenario #1 is a real possibility. Examples, a non-libpq passed driver
> wants to send a hashed password directly to a server and has a mistake
> in the algorithm, or a program calls "ALTER ROLE" and modifies a
> password with an invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 hash in it, etc.

Attached is a patch that I believe resolves this.

I modified the "get_password_type" function to perform a SCRAM
verification to see if it is a properly hashed SCRAM password. If it is,
we treat the password as a SCRAM hashed one. Otherwise, we proceed to
the next step, which is to treat it as a plainly stored one.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Attachment