Re: Question about function body checking and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Question about function body checking and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-general
tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com wrote:
> Hi, currently when you execute a CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION there is
> virtually no checking of the function body for variable type
> compatibility or if the SQL statements are valid. It's not a big deal
> for long time users of Postgres, but for users migrating from systems
> such as MS SQL or Oracle it's really a big deal for them.

Hmm - this really is a separate issue for each language. I take it
you're referring to plpgsql?

> I work for a fairly large corp with close to 10,000 employees and I
> have introduced Postgres for internal development and the biggest
> complaint I get from MS SQL server devs is the whole function body
> checking thing.
>
> The second biggest issue is about functions returning sets,
> apparently in MS SQL server you don't have to define a type or a
> cursor to return a result set.

Well, technically you don't have to with plpgsql, but then you do have to:
  SELECT * FROM myfunc() AS t1(a int, b text, ...)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd