Question about function body checking and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Question about function body checking and 8.1
Date
Re: Question about function body checking and 8.1  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
currently when you execute a CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION there is virtually no checking of the function body for
variabletype  compatibility or if the SQL statements are valid.
It's not a big deal for long time users of Postgres, but for users migrating from systems such as MS SQL or Oracle it's
reallya big deal for them.

I work for a fairly large corp with close to 10,000 employees and I have introduced Postgres for internal development
andthe biggest complaint I get from MS SQL server devs is the whole function body checking thing.

The second biggest issue is about functions returning sets, apparently in MS SQL server you don't have to define a type
ora cursor to return a result set.

Anyway just thought I would pass this on.

Thanks,

Tony