Re: partitionning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: partitionning
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:31, FERREIRA William (COFRAMI) wrote:
>

>>hi
>>
>>does the table partitionning exists under PostgreSQL ? or maybe an
>>alternative exists ?
>>
>>Oracle implements this system : it allows to spread rows on differents
>>partitions depending on an attribute.
>>For example, my application store xml documents in database, an the
>>partitionning is used to spread the differents documents on differents
>>partitions.
>>

>Currently, doing this in PostgreSQL is more of a "roll your own" thing.
>you create the base tables on different table spaces, then create an
>updatable view with the proper triggers to make sure that the incoming
>records go to the right tables.
>
>With the advent of very large raid arrays with very fast caching
>controllers, this methodology is becoming less and less necessary.

I don't agree with this. There are many postgresql users
who have 100, 200, 600 GB databases that don't have the budget
to purchase a 20,000 array.

Table partitioning is a way to keep things efficient. That
should be regardless of technology.

RAM is cheap, so lets just use as much of it as we can even
if it means we swap.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment