Re: partitionning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: partitionning
Re: partitionning  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:31, FERREIRA William (COFRAMI) wrote:
> hi
>
> does the table partitionning exists under PostgreSQL ? or maybe an
> alternative exists ?
>
> Oracle implements this system : it allows to spread rows on differents
> partitions depending on an attribute.
> For example, my application store xml documents in database, an the
> partitionning is used to spread the differents documents on differents
> partitions.

Currently, doing this in PostgreSQL is more of a "roll your own" thing.
you create the base tables on different table spaces, then create an
updatable view with the proper triggers to make sure that the incoming
records go to the right tables.

With the advent of very large raid arrays with very fast caching
controllers, this methodology is becoming less and less necessary.