Re: postgresql on gentoo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Kynaston
Subject Re: postgresql on gentoo
Date
List pgsql-general
Sim Zacks wrote:

>I just installed postgresql on a new gentoo server using emerge and I would
>like to add the citext module for a case insensitive text type. Emerge does
>not have a citext option in postgresql or package.

No, because it's not part of the postgres tarball. But the Gentoo
ebuilds _do_ make and install everything that's in /contrib.

>Does anyone know how to get the citext into postgresql on gentoo and will
>this break the next time I upgrade postgresql?

Either download and compile it by hand as outlined in it's readme
(you'll have to untar your postgres sources from /usr/portage/distfiles
and copy it to the contrib dir), or write an ebuild to do it for you.

But if you're going to do a lot of stuff that involves compiling
postgres, I'd recommend taking postgres out of portage's control. That
way you've always got your own source tree to work from and you can
tweak configure however you want. Just be sure to configure with
--prefix=/usr/local, so it's out the way of your portage-installed stuff.

Matt