Re: SQL error: function round(double precision, integer) does not - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: SQL error: function round(double precision, integer) does not
Date
List pgsql-sql
TJ O'Donnell wrote:

> I received the following error when executing a SQL statement:
>
> SQL error:
> ERROR:  function round(double precision, integer) does not exist
>
> In statement:
>
> select id,smiles,smarts,parameter,oe_count_matches(smiles,smarts) as count,
>   round((parameter*oe_count_matches(smiles,smarts)),2) as psa,tpsa(smiles) as ctpsa,tpsa
>   from structure,tpsa
>   where id < 237610
>   and oe_count_matches(smiles,smarts) > 0
>
> order by id;
>
> The functions described at:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/functions-math.html
> show that round(numeric,int) should work ok.
> If I use round() without a second argument, it works OK, but
> this gives a loss of precision which I do not want.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> TJ

And round(numeric,int) does work ok.
The error message is telling you
there is double precision argument where a numeric
is expected.
And with 7.4.5 it says in addition
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types.
You may need to add explicit type casts.

Try
round((parameter*oe_count_matches(smiles,smarts))::numeric,2)

Works for me with double precision arguments.

Regards, Christoph