Re: Serial and Index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Miroslav Šulc
Subject Re: Serial and Index
Date
List pgsql-sql
Documentation at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/datatype.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL
says:

"In most cases you would also want to attach a UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY
constraint to prevent duplicate values from being inserted by accident,
but this is not automatic."

and

"*Note: * Prior to PostgreSQL 7.3, serial implied UNIQUE. This is no
longer automatic. If you wish a serial column to be in a unique
constraint or a primary key, it must now be specified, same as with any
other data type."

Miroslav Šulc, CEO
StartNet s.r.o.
Vrchlického 161/5, Praha 5, 150 00, Česká republika
ICQ: 60144073
web: www.startnet.cz, www.novavystavba.cz
mobil: +420 603 711 413
telefon: +420 257 225 602

Sam Adams wrote:

>I read at http://jamesthornton.com/postgres/FAQ/faq-english.html#4.15.1
>that when a serial is created then an index is created on the column.
>However I can't seem to find this anywhere in the PoistgreSQL manual. Is
>this true? Thanks.
>
>-Sam

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Attachment