Re: Serial and Index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ragnar Hafstað
Subject Re: Serial and Index
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 12:54 +0000, Sam Adams wrote:
> I read at http://jamesthornton.com/postgres/FAQ/faq-english.html#4.15.1
> that when a serial is created then an index is created on the column.
> However I can't seem to find this anywhere in the PoistgreSQL manual. Is
> this true? Thanks.

no, this is not true.
howewer defining the serial column as UNIQUE will.

test=# create table q2 (a serial unique,b text);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "q2_a_seq" for
"serial" column "q2.a"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index "q2_a_key" for
table "q2"
CREATE TABLE
test=#

feel free to inform the webmaster of that site, that the FAQ has been
updated since 2002.

here is a more authoritative copy:
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/faqs/FAQ.html

gnari