Re: BUG #1485: upper case user names / creatuser - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: BUG #1485: upper case user names / creatuser
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hannes Erven wrote:

> Bug reference:      1485
> Logged by:          Hannes Erven
> Email address:      h.e@gmx.at
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7
> Operating system:   2.6.10-gentoo-r6
> Details:

> template1=# alter user Hannes  password '***';
> ERROR:  user "hannes" does not exist

> I then created another user, 'hannes', with createuser, and then I was able
> to alter the passwords, altough I now had two users in pg_user: hannes and
> Hannes.

The rules for SQL are: unquoted names get folded to lower case,
double-quoted names are left alone. The error message shows this - it
says "hannes" doesn't exist.

You could argue that the command-line tools should fold to lower-case
too, but that's not standard behaviour for command-line tools.

So - all you need to do is issue SQL like:
   ALTER USER "Hannes" ...

Personally, I keep all objects and users lower-case only, it makes my
life easier.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd