BUG #1485: upper case user names / creatuser - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Hannes Erven
Subject BUG #1485: upper case user names / creatuser
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1485
Logged by:          Hannes Erven
Email address:      h.e@gmx.at
PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7
Operating system:   2.6.10-gentoo-r6
Details:

I tried creating a new user the way mentioned in the Docs, but (postgres
owning user removed from the output):

$ createuser
Enter name of user to add: Hannes
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) n
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
CREATE USER

$ psql template1

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

template1=# alter user Hannes  password '***';
ERROR:  user "hannes" does not exist

template1=# select * from pg_catalog.pg_user
 usename  | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd |  passwd  |
valuntil | useconfig
----------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+----------+------
----+-----------
 Hannes   |      100 | f           | f        | f         | ******** |

(2 rows)

I then created another user, 'hannes', with createuser, and then I was able
to alter the passwords, altough I now had two users in pg_user: hannes and
Hannes.

template1=# drop user Hannes ;
DROP USER
template1=# select * from pg_user ;
 Hannes   |      100 | f           | f        | f         | ******** |

template1=# drop user Hannes ;
ERROR:  user "hannes" does not exist

I had expected either createuser create a 'hannes' or the alter/drop user
commands to respect case in user names.

with best regards,
-hannes