Re: Strange RETURN NEXT behaviour in Postgres 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Strange RETURN NEXT behaviour in Postgres 8.0
Date
Re: Strange RETURN NEXT behaviour in Postgres 8.0  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
>>>For the real functions which I use, instead of
>>
>>>query = ''SELECT * FROM usno'';
>>
>>>I have
>>
>>>query = my_C_function(some_args);
>>
>>Oh?  I'd make a small side bet that the underlying error is in your C
>>function --- possibly it's tromping on some data structure and the
>>damage doesn't have an effect till later.  If you can demonstrate the
>>problem without using any custom C functions then I'd be interested to
>>see a test case.
>

> I want to clarify, that I have a problem even without my C functions!!
>
> And show the full exact(but long) test case, which I performed just now
> specially.
>
> I begin from table usno with 500 millions records
>
> wsdb=# \d usno
>      Table "public.usno"
>  Column |  Type  | Modifiers
> --------+--------+-----------
>  ra     | real   |
>  dec    | real   |
>  bmag   | real   |
>  rmag   | real   |
>  ipix   | bigint |
>  errbox | box    |
>     "box_ind" rtree (errbox)
>     "ipix_ind" btree (ipix)
>     "radec_ind" btree (ra, "dec")

This is just a shot in the dark, but I don't suppose you've dropped or
modified any columns in "usno" have you?

I seem to remember some subtle problems with dropped columns and plpgsql
functions - could be one of those still left. It'd look like tablesize
was the problem because of course no-one's got time to test with 500
million test rows.
--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd