Re: Solaris 9 tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Arthurs
Subject Re: Solaris 9 tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
... Trying again again with right email address -- list server rejected previous :)

Hi, Paul

Josh helped my company with this issue -- PG doesn't use shared memory like Oracle, it depends more on the OS buffers.
Makingshared mem
too large a fraction is disasterous and seriously impact performance. (though I find myself having to justify this to
Oracletrained
DBA's) :)

What I found was the biggest performance improvement on the write side was to turn of file system journaling, and on
theread side was
to feed postgres as many CPU's as you can.  What we found for a high use db (for example backending a web site) is that
8-400g cpu's
outperforms 2 or 4 fast cpus.  The fast cpu's spend all of their time context switching as more connections are made.

Also make sure your txlog is on another spindle -- it might even be worth taking one out of the stripe to do this.

I am running solaris 9 on an e3500 also (though my disc setup is different)

Here's what I have things set to -- it's probably a pretty good starting point for you:

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 65536          # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each
sort_mem = 12000                # min 64, size in KB
vacuum_mem = 64000              # min 1024, size in KB

# - Free Space Map -

max_fsm_pages = 100000          # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
#max_fsm_relations = 10000      # min 100, ~50 bytes each

# - Kernel Resource Usage -

#max_files_per_process = 1000   # min 25
#preload_libraries = ''

and the tail end of /etc/system:

* shared memory config for postgres
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0xFFFFFFFF
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1000
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
* end of shared memory setting
* Set the hme card to force 100 full duplex and not to autonegotiate
* since hme does not play well with cisco
*
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0