Re: Multiline plpython procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>
>>Egads. So the set of valid Python programs is different depending on what
>>platform you're on? That's just, uhm, insane.
>

> No quibble here.
>

>>Incidentally, are we sure we've diagnosed this correctly? I'm discussing this
>>with some Python developers and they're expressing skepticism. One just tried
>>a quick test with a Python program containing a mixture of all three newline
>>flavours and it ran fine.
>

> He tried reading 'em from files, using Python's text-format-converting
> file reader, no?  See the test case posted up-thread, which demonstrates
> that feeding a string directly to PyExec (or whatever its called)
> produces newline-sensitive results.

This is currently being discussed on python-dev:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051203.html

It looks like my earlier concerns were unwarrented - current consensus
seems to be to transform line endings in the string to the
one-true-format expected by Python's guts:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051214.html

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/