Re: Does "HYPERTHREADING" do any harm if we use with RH9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve Poe
Subject Re: Does "HYPERTHREADING" do any harm if we use with RH9.0
Date
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Amrit,
>

>>I use RH 9.0 with postgresql 7.3.2 and 4 Gb ram  [server spec. Dual Xeon
>>3.0] and someone mention that the hyperthreading will not help but if I let
>>it there will it be any harm to the system?
>>Any comment please.
>>

>Sometimes.  Run a test and take a look at your CS (context switch) levels on
>VMSTAT.   If they're high, turn HT off.
>
>If it's a dedicated PG system, though, just turn HT off.  We can't use it.
>
>Also, upgrade PostgreSQL to 7.3.8 at least.   7.3.2 is known-buggy.

Sorry for the "dumb" question, but what would be considered high
regarding CS levels?  We just upgraded our server's to dual 2.8Ghz Xeon
CPUs from dual Xeon 1.8Ghz which unfortunately HT built-in.  We also
upgraded our database from version 7.3.4 to 7.4.2

Thanks.

Steve Poe