Re: Does "HYPERTHREADING" do any harm if we use with RH9.0 and postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Does "HYPERTHREADING" do any harm if we use with RH9.0 and postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Amrit,

> I use RH 9.0 with postgresql 7.3.2 and 4 Gb ram  [server spec. Dual Xeon
> 3.0] and someone mention that the hyperthreading will not help but if I let
> it there will it be any harm to the system?
> Any comment please.

Sometimes.  Run a test and take a look at your CS (context switch) levels on
VMSTAT.   If they're high, turn HT off.

If it's a dedicated PG system, though, just turn HT off.  We can't use it.

Also, upgrade PostgreSQL to 7.3.8 at least.   7.3.2 is known-buggy.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions