Re: Problems with high traffic - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Problems with high traffic
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ben

Well, we need more information

pg version, hardware, memory, etc

you may want to turn on log_duration to see exactly which statement is
causeing the problem. I'm assuming since it is taking a lot of CPU it
will take some time to complete( this may not be true)

On your last point, that is where you will get the most optimization,
but I'd still use log_duration to make sure optimizing the statement
will actually help.

dave

Ben Bostow wrote:

> I'm still relatively new to Postgres. I usually just do SQL
> programming but have found my self having to administer the DB now.  I
> have I have a problem on my website that when there is high amounts of
> traffic coming from one computer to my web server. I suspect it is
> because of a virus. But what when I notice this, my processor drops to
> 0.0% idle with postmaster being my highest CPU user. Under normal
> circumstances the processor runs >90% idle or <10% used. I have tried
> tuning postgres but it doesn't seem to make a difference, unless I am
> doing something wrong. If I would like to find a solution other than
> rewriting all of my SQL statements and creating them to take the least
> amount of time to process.

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com