Re: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: Relation 38868974 does - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: Relation 38868974 does
Date
List pgsql-general
Alain M. Gaudrault wrote:
> I've come across a problem which is only happening intermittently, and
> having a difficult time finding information to help me determine what is
> the source of my frustration.
>
> The symptom is the error reported in the subject.  We invoke SQL
> statements from a Java servlet via pg74jdbc3.jar.  The relation number
> in the error will be the same for several occurrences, then change.

At a guess, something's OID is being cached - probably that of a
TEMPORARY TABLE. If you have a plpgsql function (or perhaps a PREPAREd
query) that refers to an object and that object is dropped (usually a
temporary table) then you can get errors like this.

Would that make sense in your case?

> My first question is, how do I determine which resource is being
> referred to by '38868974'?

Tricky - because whatever it referred to is gone.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd