Re: Status of server side Large Object support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Garamond
Subject Re: Status of server side Large Object support?
Date
Re: Status of server side Large Object support?  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote:
> Not if the column is storage type EXTERNAL. See a past discussion here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-07/msg01447.php

what is the reasoning behind this syntax?
 ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ] ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET STORAGE { PLAIN | EXTERNAL | EXTENDED | MAIN }

I find it nonintuitive and hard to remember. Perhaps something like this
is better (I know, it's probably too late):
 ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET STORAGE { INLINE | EXTERNAL } ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET COMPRESSION { YES | NO }

--
dave