Re: Getting Unicode characters greater than or equal to - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Getting Unicode characters greater than or equal to
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Venki wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am using Postgres 7.4.6 on Red hat linux 9.0. When I try insert a chinese
> character from my frontend(Asp.Net on win2k pro using ado.net, .Net
> framework 1.1) into a table in my postgres database I am getting the
> following error message
>
> "System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [HY000] ERROR: Unicode characters
> greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not supported"

Hi Venki

This isn't really the right list for support questions, you might be
better off with the general or odbc lists.

In your case I'm guessing your Windows system isn't supplying UTF-8 but
some other character set. Certainly that is what the error message
implies. Note PG handles UTF-8 but not UTF-16 or other encodings.

HTH
--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd